Sunday 14 January 2018

The gift of music

I’ve been having an interesting few days. I’m away with my long suffering partner for a few days R&R. We have decided that as I can’t travel abroad just now we will explore the uk. On this occasion we also combined the trip with my choir singing at Portsmouth Cathedral. 

Yesterday morning I set off for my rehearsal. I managed to find a high stool to perch on. I really enjoyed our 90min rehearsal. Some of the music was brand new to me. Some I had last sung as a child. We then had a nice lunch break and a chance to catch up socially with each other. Sadly it was too cold to take a “stroll” on the seafront. Then it was back to the Cathedral. The acoustics were amazing as we rehearsed in place ahead of the service. We all enjoyed ourselves and were able to sing to our full potential as the building was very kind to our voices. This meant a fair bit of standing for me. I sat whenever I could but in order to sing well it’s important to have good posture. 

After evensong some of us went for a meal to celebrate Simon, our choir trainers birthday. By the time we came back to the hotel I was happy but exhausted and in pain. 

Sadly I still get this awful gut ache after I’ve eaten as part of the GVHD. 

Today I’ve suffered from exhaustion. We got up for breakfast and then I needed a nap before we went out. I’ve felt cold and weak all day while out. Tonight the gut ache started in the restaurant and I was almost doubled over when we got back to the hotel. I’m glad I had the foresight to being a hot water bottle. I curled up in bed in agony until the pain wore off and I slept for a while. 

I’ve been very pale today too. It’s the price I pay for exerting myself yesterday. I wouldn’t have it any other way though. A few months ago when I couldn’t hear I doubted I would ever sing again. Then I got my new hearing aids and yesterday I was able to hold my own. There was only 4 sopranos singing my part and I was able to complement my colleagues and contribute fully. I am so grateful that despite everything I can still find these pleasures in life. 

Tomorrow I will do a few more tourist things around here, like visiting the Mary Rose before I head back to London. 

Tuesday I have an appointment with my consultant. I hope they have some good news for me. The way I look and feel though does make me wonder...


My encouragement to everyone is to push it a bit and do something you enjoy. Even if you have to have a day of tired exhaustion, it’s worth the lift it gives you emotionally and spiritually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment